Friday, December 20, 2013


I'm sorry everyone that I am so behind on my blog. I have just had so much going on lately that I don't have time to sit down, let alone sit down & write! Once the holidays are over, my goal is to get back on track with updating my blog, hopefully at least once a week.

But for now, I just wanted to give everyone a quick update on Nick while I'm here at the hospital with him...

Nick started feeling really nauseous last night. He assumed that something that he had eaten was not agreeing with him. So he called it a night & went to bed around 8:30 pm. But he didn't get much sleep because he couldn't get comfortable. He had a meeting in Clear Lake at 10:00 am so I woke him up at 8 after I brought Addy to school. (He never sleeps that late.) He got up & took a shower & told me that there was no way that he could go to work today. So he got back in bed & called in sick.

Alex had his Christmas program at school this morning at 10:30. So I went to that & when it was over, I called Nick to see how he was feeling. He told me that he was still nauseous &  that his stomach felt like what he imagines a woman feels like when she gets cramps. He had googled his symptoms & all signs pointed to appendicitis but he didn't really believe that's what it was. But since it was Friday & the kids & I were planning to leave town on Sunday, he decided that he would go to the clinic in HEB, just in case.

He got to the clinic around noon. He told the nurse practitioner his symptoms & she immediately sent him over to Sphier, the new freestanding ER in Sienna. The doctor at the ER also suspected appendicitis so they did blood work & an MRI. (While all of this was happening, Alex & I were at Addy's class Christmas party.) On the way home from Addy's school,(around 3:30) he text me that it was confirmed, that he had appendicitis & that he was headed to the hospital in an ambulance!

And that is how Nick ended up in St. Luke's Hospital tonight.

I got to the hospital around 7 & he had just gotten into his room. He was in a lot of pain & still nauseous so I went & talked to his nurse. She said it was because he had only been in recovery for about 10 minutes & so he didn't get any pain meds while in there. So she came in & gave him some morphine & a dose of zofran to help with his nausea. The morphine made a huge difference in his pain level & he was able to settle down & fall asleep. 

He's been asleep for about 3 hours now, hopefully he'll be able to sleep all night. The nurse said that he should feel a lot better tomorrow & his doctor (who's name is Ponce de Leon by the way!) should release him to go home. 

I'm so thankful that Nick trusted his intuition that something was wrong & actually went to the doctor. This could have been a lot worse if he would have waited & his appendix would have burst.

Thank you to everyone for all the texts & emails showing your love & support. And a huge thank you to my sister Molly for coming over & taking care of our kids so that I could come stay with Nick at the hospital tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.